The guide is produced as a resource for use in schools by young people and adults who work with young people. It provides basic information on FGM and related health and social issues.
It aims to increase awareness of the law and about child protection issues and also offers ideas for helping girls at risk of FGM. The guide provides information of specialist health and support services in the UK.
It discusses the following issues:
- What female genital mutilation is and who is at risk
- What role religion plays in FGM
- Some of the myths about FGM
- What the health effects are
- Access to specialist services
- What can be done if you are worried that someone is at risk and what happens if you report this