Need Help?

Need Help?

Are you or someone you know at risk of FGM?

If you are worried that yourself, your sister or someone else you know is at immediate risk of FGM then you should call the Police on 999. If it is not an emergency you can also call the Police on 111 for advice.

It is illegal to perform or force someone to undergo FGM.  If you, or someone you know, is at risk of FGM or has been affected by FGM you can also seek emergency help and support from the following:

Contact us Monday- Friday 9.30am-5.30pm for more information, advice and one-to-one support.

  • Phone:+44 (0)208 960 4000, extension 1
  • Mobile:+44 (0)7834 168 141
  • Email: [email protected]

Other services that can help you

  • Your Local Social Services Department – are able to protect you or provide support, you can contact them through your local council
  • Your Local Police Child Protection Unit – are able to protect you or provide support, you can contact them through your local police station. If you are in London you can also contact the Metropolitan Police Child Abuse Investigation Command on 020 7161 2888.
  • NSPCC helpline – is dedicated to FGM, anonymous and open 24/7, you can call them on: 0800 028 3550

What happens if you report that you or someone you know is at risk of FGM?

If you report that someone is at risk or has undergone FGM this will be treated confidentially. Professionals are required to treat any reported case of FGM as a child protection issue and start a child protection referral. This means that the local authority’s children’s services will treat this as a serious concern and organise a meeting to assess the case and find ways to best protect the child. The investigation will also try to find out if other siblings in the family are at risk of FGM. Parents will be part of this meeting to discuss the concerns. A girl will NOT automatically be taken away from her home. This will only happen in rare cases where the parents fail to guarantee that they will not carry out FGM on their daughter.

Other support services we offer

FORWARD provides advice, one-to-one support and signposting to other services. We also answer questions about female genital mutilation (FGM), other harmful practices, domestic and sexual violence, and any other form of violence.

You can also join our monthly information sharing coffee mornings which takes place near our office on the first Wednesday of every month. The coffee mornings provide a space for women to share experiences, information and skills.

Please contact us today if you need help or support, or wish to learn more about our support services. Call us on 020 8960 4000, or email us on [email protected]

Services we offer to African women and girls in the UK

Find out about all the services we offer for African women and girls in the UK. From one-to-one support, advice, accompanying you to medical appointments, and more.

Find out about our Support Services